To clarify, although I have defended the deployment of segwit as a
hardfork, I have no strong opinion on whether to do that or do it as a
softfork first and then do a hardfork to move things out of the
coinbase to a better place.
I have a strong opinion against never doing the later hardfork though.
I would have supported segwit for Bitcoin even if it was only possible
as a hardfork, but there's a softfork version and that will hopefully
accelerate its deployment.
Since the plan seems to be to do a softfork first and a hardfork
moving the witness tree (and probably more things) outside of the
coinbase later, I support the plan for segwit deployment.
In fact, the plan is very exciting to me.