We don't have any evidence of how fast nodes will upgrade when faced with
an impending hard fork, but it seems like a very safe assumption that the
upgrade pace will be significantly faster.  The hard fork case it is:
"upgrade or be kicked off the network".  In the previous cases it has been,
"here's the latest and greatest, give it a go!".  Also, there will be
alerts sent out warning people of the situation, prompting them to take
action.

It is unclear if this will translate into more or less than 6x the adoption
speed of previous instances, but the idea that it would be faster is
solid.  28 days is aggressive, but again, it is only 28 days from when the
fork triggers.  Compatible software is already available for anyone who
wants to prepare.

It is also of significance that this proposed fork, and this debate, has
been going on for many, many months.  If someone proposed a forking concept
today, wrote the BIP tomorrow, deployed it next week, miners adopted it
instantly, and 28 days later it was the flag day, those 28 days would be in
a different context.  There is no surprise here.