Hi all,

>>> A 51% attack under proof-of-work is only possible, in general, if some
>>> singular entity were able to have physical control of almost 50%, or some
>>> such close number, of the globe, simply due to the fact that energy
>>> availability is somewhat distributed over the globe.

Mining is not only about the energy sources, individual miners spread around
the globe can join big mining pools, and these mining pools could be hacked to
participate in a 51% attack. Some governments (or other groups) could plan this
type of attack if it's in their interest.

If you look at this graph you will see that controlling 4 mining pools could be
enough:

https://www.blockchain.com/en/pools

>>> Secondly: change of hashing algorithm is pointless in the highly unlikely
>>> case of a 51% attack, because what matters is control of energy sources.

As far as I know, if the PoW algorithm changes to an ASIC resistant algorithm
that can only run in GPUs or CPUs, the hashing power would be much more
distributed at least until someone creates a new ASIC for that algorithm. There
are many GPUs around the globe, but not so many ASIC miners right?

>>> Nothing can be more efficient than proof-of-work, and the proof-of-stake
>>> delusion is simply a perpetual motion machine that attempts to get
>>> something from nothing.

As time passes and more PoS coins appears, including big projects like
Ethereum, we will see if it's delusional or not 🙂

I forgot one, if you do a 51% attack to a PoS coin you know that all your
staking funds will be burned. In a PoW coin you don't lose your miners and can
use them to mine or attack another coin with the same algorithm.

>>> You must understand that removing the chain tip puts the transactions in
>>> that block back in the mempool, before we ever start following the longer
>>> chain.

Yep but it could make double spend attacks very easy. People would know what is
happening and could send the money to themselves with a higher fee to recover
it. Many people would lose money with that.

To fix that problem with a PoS algorithm, some community-guided initiative
could get all transactions of both chains and create a merged chain with a hard
fork so double spends attacks would not be possible. This could be somewhat
slow, maybe the network is stopped a few days, but in the end no one will see
money disappear from their wallet, much better than pray that your payer
doesn't send the money back ato himself.

>>> Hard forks are very difficult to coordinate as the user set increases in
>>> size.

I don't think many people will vote against a hard fork if the network is
clearly under a 51% attack or the blockchain has 2 branches longer than N due
to an internet split.

>>> This solution is worse than the problem, and speeds up the dominance of
>>> large stakers over the coin, trivially letting someone with the largest
>>> stake in the coin grow their stake even faster.

I think it's very evident that the rich guy earn coins faster in both
algorithms.

In PoS if you have 51% of the coins and use them to stake, you make 51% of the
blocks, I don't see any problem with that. If you decide to do a 51% attack,
stopping doing blocks in the main chain to force the others to follow your
"private" chain, well, you know for sure your funds will be burned in the next
hard fork.

>>> No, I think it will be very successful in ensuring that smart individuals
>>> will spend their time actually doing things that benefit the economy and
>>> technology instead of wasting their time being distracted with Ethereum and
>>> proof-of-stake.

Ok, we the PoS advocates will let the smart people to work in more difficult
issues like finding reasons to justify the energy waste and heat generation of
PoW when Bitcoin price reaches 1 million dollars 😉

Regards,