Hi Michael,

CLN as implemented is currently nicely decoupled from the block source; as
a project we assume that the node runner will choose a block backend that
fits their self-sovereignty goals.

This provides us with a nice separation of concerns. The block source is
responsible for ensuring that only consensus valid data is delivered to the
node, which in turn allows us to focus on processing and reacting to that
data, as necessary.

Bitcoin core as a project implements a broad swath of functionality
(wallet, consensus, peering, rpc server, coin selection, key management,
etc); breaking out the validation and peering functions into more
composable parts would def open up more opportunities for building block
sources for a wide variety of projects, not just CLN.

There’s probably a real opportunity to “comingle” the peering of LN gossip
+ block data networks, this has been suggested a few times but never
seriously pursued from the LN side. Having the peering functions of
bitcoin-core broken out into a more composable/reusable piece may be a good
first step here, and as a project would largely be on the bitcoin core
side. Maybe this work is already in progress? I havent been keeping up with
developments there.

Thanks for the email, it’s definitely a good question.

Lisa