To ensure forward compatibility with optional fields, we need to define how
a client handles fields that it doesn't know about.

When should it display an error message, and when should it silently accept
and ignore the extraneous fields?

(For example, if something that restricts the validity, such as "expires"
is added later on, it is pretty important not to ignore it. Older clients
should refuse to comply.)

URL signing should indeed be addressed in a separate BIP and be an
extension mechanism, IMO.

"expires" and "message" could go into BIP 21 one as they're easy to
implement and don't need much discussion.

Wladimir