Just posted this on the wiki BIP-13 discussion - should I make it into a BIP of
its own ?

---
The "version" portion of the address has so far been labeled "network id", and
indicates from which network and which chain the address can be used for. I
think that this change from network id to version is much more fundamental and
should not just be squeezed in along with bip16/17. The right way to do this is
to structure the bitcoin address into:

base58-encode: [one-byte network ID][20-byte hash][one-byte address
class][3-byte checksum]

This will move the possibility of using a faulty address from 1 to 4bill to 1
to 24mio. Recall that for most other payment systems this checksum is 1 to 9!
So it should be sufficient. An old client will then render the new addresses as
useless and they will still maintain their old familiar 1xxx look - the whole
point in multisig is that it should not be a matter of the paying party to
worry about securing wallet of the receiver, hence he should not be bothered
with a new "3" kind of address now... --Michael Gronager/libcoin 10:49, 20
February 2012 (GMT)