Adam,

Take a look at this privacy enhancing solution based on fair exchange
implemented by bitcoin contracts and cut-and-choose. It would require a
public pool of users willing to exchange in common denominations at
moments in time together to ensure unlinkability. It also leave a trace
of exchange activity in the chain. This could all be added to wallet
software to become automatic.

http://robotics.stanford.edu/~xb/fc12/index.html

Simon