On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 07:10:05AM +1000, Gavin Andresen wrote:
> RE: should the customer's machine not broadcast the transaction:

If we're going to allow payments to fail without being broadcast (but
where the wallet can't in general prove that the receiver hasn't seen
the transaction) then I would argue that it becomes highly desirable
that the wallet invalidates the transaction at the earliest
opportunity by spending the outputs in a pay-to-self transaction.

Otherwise malicious receivers, or temporary failures, could result in
the user being told that the transfer didn't happen, but then the
coins actually leaving the wallet anyway a short time later.

roy