Oh, I forgot to make it clear - Chrome apps/extensions can make raw TCP
socket connections:

   http://blog.chromium.org/2012/11/introducing-tcp-listen-new-api-for.html

You would do it as a packaged app:
http://developer.chrome.com/apps/about_apps.html  because then they're a
lot more similar to native apps (they get their own windows, run offline,
etc).

But these aren't standard APIs. They're all Chrome extensions. I doubt
HTML5 will support USB access anytime soon, for instance, but packaged apps
do.