FWIW, Litecoin 0.8.x entirely removed the internal miner and we warned
people that getwork will be removed in the next major version.  Pooler's
CPU minerd which supports both sha256d and scrypt recently grew stratum
support.  Perhaps he could be convinced to add GBT support too, which would
help this goal of completely removing the internal miner and getwork.

Warren