While we might be able to get away with a retroactive change in meaning right
now in the future that won't be so easy. There are lots if proposed
applications for nLockTime-using protocols that depend on transactions (or
parts of transactions) being possible to mine as is. Making existing
transactions impossible to mine in the future will break those types of
applications. We might as well use this as a learning experience for what a
version bump would look like infrastructures wise.

Note how the above is a particularly bad example of gmaxwell's generic "don't
break things" objection. Equally, remember that lots of infrastructure *does*
handle malleability just fine already.