I use several test chains while testing my software, the official test net, a
standalone net in house and even chains only created on the fly for unit tests.
I found no use of distinguishing serialization of keys while using any of them.

If you have some deep insights about why this is needed share it, as I am not
goint to guess your valuable thoughts.

Regards,

Tamas Blummer
http://bitsofproof.com