Here is a good article that helped me with what's going wrong:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/javase/supplementary-142654.html

Basically, Java is stuck at 16 bits per char due to legacy reasons. They
admit that for a new language, they would probably use 32 (or 24?) bits
per char.

\u literals express UTF-16 encoding, so you have to use 16 bits. I
learned that for codepoint 0x010400, I could write "\uD801\uDC00", which
is the UTF-16 encoding of that codepoint.

Other languages have literals for codepoints. E.g. Python can use
u"\U00010400" or HTML has 𐐀  Unfortunately, Java is missing such
a construct (at least in Java6).