If your threat model is passive listeners, it seems to me that simply
establishing a symmetric key for each connection at handshake time
using diffie-hellman is all you need. No public private crypto needed
at all.

The whole thing seems like a bit of security theater unfortunately.
The kind of attacker that can pull off widespread passive listening is
probably able and willing to do active MITM. It's not a huge
incremental cost.

Instead, those users that do have a need for security should probably
connect to the network using Tor or I2P, which can give much better
security guarantees than anything being discussed here.