I'm a bit confused.  It's been a long time since I looked at protobuf
(and will have to dig into it soon), but I seem to recall it doesn't
have any of the determinism properties you guys just said.  It is
intended to allow you to skip details of the on-the-wire representations
and just send a bunch of named fields between systems.  I thought there
was no guarantee that two identical protobuf structures will get
serialized identically...?