Hello,

With the recent discussion started today regarding another bluetooth communication proposal created by Airbitz, I'd like to bring people's attention back to this proposal that saw little discussion last fall. I guess I'm not sure why two proposals are being created. Is their some advantage of using bluetooth low energy over standard bluetooth (I'm not well versed in bluetooth low energy)? This NFC coupled approach seems to avoid a lot of issues with identifying the correct payee. You can see this proposed scheme demonstrated in action in a POS application in the video link below which demonstrates it with my fuel pump and Andreas Schildbach's wallet.

There was a small discussion that occurred after my original announcement below. If you are new to this e-mail list, you can find an archive of those few replies here: https://www.mail-archive.com/bitcoin-development%40lists.sourceforge.net/msg06354.html

Since this original announcement, a few improvements have been made to the proposal:

1. Improved documentation and explanation of the use cases in
   Schildbach's wallet's wiki
    1. https://github.com/schildbach/bitcoin-wallet/wiki/Payment-Requests
2. Issue with the payment_url field has resolved by changing to a
   repeated field and requiring the wallet to search for the protocol
   they want to use, rather than expecting it to be a certain element
   number in the list.
    1. https://github.com/AndySchroder/bips/blob/master/tbip-0075.mediawiki

Although there are some interesting use cases of Airbitz's proposal's work flow, tapping an NFC radio with a 5 mm range requires much less brain power and time than picking the correct name on the app's screen. The manual name picking is going to be especially crazy in a very congested location. The payer isn't ever going to want to have to try and figure out what register or payment terminal they are at for most applications I would ever use.

I'd like to see something happen with this technology. I've also noticed that micropayment channels have little formality to being established practically and it would be awesome if they could be managed over bluetooth as well. Maybe more improvements to the payment protocol can simultaneously result (and also extended to bluetooth) that embrace the establishment of micropayment channels.

Andy Schroder