Adam seems to be making sense to me. Only querying a single node when an
address in my wallet matches the block filter seems to be pretty
efficient. The downside is it relies entirely on Tor for privacy, but
then again it's not the only aspect of spv clients that require it for
privacy (there's broadcasting for example).

And on a related note, if we eventually do end up receiving bip70
payments directly, we still need to query for block inclusion and that
would seem to be an easy way to do it.