True.  Part of the issue rests on the block sync horizon/cliff.  There is a
value X which is the average number of blocks the 90th percentile of nodes
need in order to sync.  It is sufficient for the [semi-]pruned nodes to
keep X blocks, after which nodes must fall back to archive nodes for older
data.

There is simply far, far more demand for recent blocks, and the demand for
old blocks very rapidly falls off.

There was even a more radical suggestion years ago - refuse to sync if too
old (>2 weeks?), and force the user to download ancient data via torrent.

--
Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist