From: Tier Nolan
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2015 7:22 AM
Cc: Bitcoin Dev
Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Proposed alternatives to the 20MB
stepfunction

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 3:09 PM, Tier Nolan <tier.no...@gmail.com> wrote:

  On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Gavin Andresen <gavinandre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

    But if there is still no consensus among developers but the "bigger blocks
now" movement is successful, I'll ask for help getting big miners to do the
same, and use the soft-fork block version voting mechanism to (hopefully) get a
majority and then a super-majority willing to produce bigger blocks. The
purpose of that process is to prove to any doubters that they'd better start
supporting bigger blocks or they'll be left behind, and to give them a chance
to upgrade before that happens.

  How do you define that the movement is successful?

Sorry again, I keep auto-sending from gmail when trying to delete.

In theory, using the "nuclear option", the block size can be increased via soft
fork.

Version 4 blocks would contain the hash of the a valid extended block in the
coinbase.

<block height> <32 byte extended hash>

To send coins to the auxiliary block, you send them to some template.

OP_P2SH_EXTENDED <scriptPubKey hash> OP_TRUE

This transaction can be spent by anyone (under the current rules).  The soft
fork would lock the transaction output unless it transferred money from the
extended block.

To unlock the transaction output, you need to include the txid of
transaction(s) in the extended block and signature(s) in the scriptSig.

The transaction output can be spent in the extended block using P2SH against
the scriptPubKey hash.

This means that people can choose to move their money to the extended block.
It might have lower security than leaving it in the root chain.

The extended chain could use the updated script language too.

This is obviously more complex than just increasing the size though, but it
could be a fallback option if no consensus is reached.  It has the advantage of
giving people a choice.  They can move their money to the extended chain or
not, as they wish.