A lot of standpoints for keeping the current block size are focused on
creating a healthy fee market. I have some open questions for this list
in regards to the user incentives of using bitcoin, when such a strong
fee market is in place.
In my scenario the average fee for a normal transactions will be around
1$ to put in on the blockchain with a reasonable confirmation time.

1. How will we get user adoptions if the fees on bitcoin transactions
our not competitive with other services like PayPal and the like. (from
a payment solution viewpoint) It is one of the main ‘pitch lines’ to get
people to adopt bitcoin. “Send value to the other side of the world for
almost 0 fees”

    2. Many suggest the use of a level 2 layer will facilitate the
scalability for bitcoin with technologies like the lightning network.
But to my knowledge, all these solutions still need to publish to the
actual blockchain when they need to settle. Meaning you will have to pay
the fees at least once. In case of lightning this will be when the
channel is closed.

This means moves more to a monthly payed service, where you open a
payment channel each month and pay the fee at the end. But a system like
this keeps money locked for the duration of the channel. And one of the
main ‘pitch’ point of the bitcoin economy was you get your money
instantly, not at the end of the month when the payment channel is
closed.

    3. The idea of the fee market is people will start using the layer 2
systems. When this happens, what are the incentives to keep running a
node? The incentives today are already quite small, the only real one is
to support the network or make payments through your own trusted node.
If you are only using a layer 2 solution, are there any reasons left to
run my own bitcoin node, resulting in less decentralization.

    4. Do we need a fee market right now? It seems to me the current
block reward is still high enough for miners to be able to make money
and secure the network. No real fee market is therefore needed to help
these miners.

Regardless of our opinion, why don’t we let the miners decide? The
BIP100 proposal seems to do this. If the majority of miners decide they
want bigger blocks they just vote for this. If they want a fee market
because their return is enough, they can keep the limit and let the
demand for more blockspace result in a higher fee market.
Just some of my thoughts about the results of full blocks and the
resulting fee market. It seems to me a strong fee market might hurt the
young ecosystem more, then it might help it (miners are currently
compensated enough). The same goes for decentralization, when people
more their resources to the level 2 solution or stop using bitcoin due
to the higher fees compared to comparable services.
Cheers,
Tim Witters