I see it as unreasonable to expect all nodes to upgrade during a hardfork.
If you are intentionally waiting for that to happen, it's possible for an
extreme minority of nodes to hold the rest of the network hostage by simply
refusing to upgrade. However you want nodes to be able to protest until it
is clear that they have lost the battle without being at risk of getting
hardforked out of the network unexpectedly.

I think it makes sense to add a second fuse. After the 95% barrier has been
crossed, a 6 week timer starts that gives the remaining 5% time to upgrade.
If they still don't upgrade, they have intentionally forked themselves from
the network and it is not something that the remaining 95% need to be
concerned with.