If the alternative (private) blockchain is based on the Bitcoin source
code (e.g. Namecoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Sidechain Elements/Alpha) then
it is practical. You should look at the libdohj project if your project
will be Bitcoin-based and you want to use bitcoinj:

https://github.com/dogecoin/libdohj