This is a small issue, but for the next release we should maybe upgrade
protobuf (protoc) from protobuf-2.6.1 to the current 3.1.0.

If you use homebrew or similar you get the 3.1.0 version. Older versions
can be downloaded and installed manually.  But it becomes tedious to switch
your protoc installation back and forth if you use it in other projects. It
should be binary compatible with no change in the proto files (or we should
add the version proto2 in the files explicitly as there is now a proto3
version of the proto file type). The generated java code will change.