I believe what you're seeing is the protobuf text format, as created by
this mehod in com.google.protobuf.ByteString:

public static String escapeBytes(ByteString input)

Escapes bytes in the format used in protocol buffer text format, which
is the same as the format used for C string literals. All bytes that are
not printable 7-bit ASCII characters are escaped, as well as backslash,
single-quote, and double-quote characters. Characters for which no
defined short-hand escape sequence is defined will be escaped using
3-digit octal sequences.

If I'm right, you can convert that back into a byte string (basically
byte array) using:

public static ByteString unescapeBytes(CharSequence charString)
                                throws
TextFormat.InvalidEscapeSequenceException

Un-escape a byte sequence as escaped using escapeBytes(ByteString).
Two-digit hex escapes (starting with "\x") are also recognized.