After several hours trying to configure different logging implementations I
figured out how to do it.
I explain what I did, in order to help others in the same situation,
wanting to configure a very simple logging system in a file, instead that
logging in the console.

Procedure:

- Information from: https://logback.qos.ch/manual/configuration.html
- IDE: IntelliJ
- Specific logging implementation: logback
- I added the following jars through maven: logback-core-1.2.3.jar,
logback-classic-1.2.3.jar, slf4j-api-1.7.24.jar
- In my src directory I added the file: logback.xml with the following
content:

<configuration>
    <appender name="STDOUT" class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender">
        <encoder>
            <pattern>%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%thread] %-5level %logger{36} -
%msg%n</pattern>
        </encoder>
    </appender>
    <appender name="FILE" class="ch.qos.logback.core.FileAppender">
        <file>myApp.log</file>
        <encoder>
            <pattern>%date %level [%thread] %logger{10} [%file:%line]
%msg%n</pattern>
        </encoder>
    </appender>
    <root level="debug">
        <appender-ref ref="FILE" />
        <!--appender-ref ref="STDOUT" /-->
    </root>
</configuration>

- The logs get stored in the file  myApp.log
- Uncommenting the line  <!--appender-ref ref="STDOUT" /--> would also
print the log in the console.
- If you want to log more information besides the one being logged by
bitcoinj you can do it declaring a new variable in the class that you want
to write the logs

static final Logger LOG = LoggerFactory.getLogger(<<Name of the class>>.class);

- When you want to log some info doing something like:

LOG.trace("Hello World!");

I hope this helps.
Kind regards!