Hi Stephanie,

I believe the leg can be splinted and that will make the ewe more
comfortable because it will reduce movement near the fracture
(painful!), and the bones will set better that way, as well.  If you
can splint it, I wouldn't use pain medication because of the effect it
might have on the lambs.

Too bad you have such useless vets out there!  You might try calling a
small animal vet, if you haven't yet - they have splints made for the
back legs of dogs, which are pretty much the same shape as those of
sheep, and one of these  might work well.  Or you can use a stick as
Helmut wrote, or some thick aluminum wire that you can bend into the
proper shape. You want something relatively flat that will sit nicely
against the leg, so I don't like PVC pipe for that reason.

There are some principles you'll need to know if you've never done this
before - I would take Helmut up on his offer to call him for
instructions.  Several things that are important are:

1) use some roll cotton or other material as padding on the leg,
between the leg and splint so that the splint doesn't gouge the skin.
If the skin opens up and exposes the broken bone to the outside, you
may have big problems with infection.  If the skin stays closed,
infection is not a problem.

2) put the splint on the outside of the leg (opposite side of the udder)

3) the splint must go from just below the hoof (so the ewe bears weight
on the splint, not the hoof) to just past the joint above the fracture.
I'm not sure from what you've written exactly where the break is - do
you mean it is above the hock(?) which is the joint that sticks out
toward the back of the animal? If so, then you want your splint to  go
up above the knee, which is the joint above the hock that points to the
front of the animal.  If the break is truly above the knee, then your
splint needs to go to the hip.

Call Helmut!

Good luck,
SP