From: Natasha Lovell <rubystargo...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Blackbelly] Need help with identifying a ewe
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Date: Sunday, September 25, 2011, 1:16 PM

I was called about rehoming a sheep recently (I have dairy goats, and I'm the
local petting zoo goat supplier & livestock expert). I went to visit the
animal, and she had some intriguing characteristics. ..which prompted a search
online and an inquiry to my goat Yahoo groups about her ancestry, with
suggestions of Jacob, katahdin, St. Croix or Barbados Blackbelly crosses or
Soay. The Soay people says she has no Soay breeding, but definately looks like
she's at least 1/2 Barbados.

Pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2153859638484.2108237.1006225420

She is about the size of a pygmy goat, with a long tail (bushy on the end), a
wiry overcoat and wool undercoat (has been clipped sometime after July, grown
back to ~1-2"). Four teats (two are likely non functional). She has two horn
stubs (or polled? I'm not familiar with sheep heads), and a dished, very dainty
face (and legs). Her coloring reminds me of the Barbados Blackbelly, with white
patches. A vet suggested her age to be less than 3-4yrs; I'm pretty sure she's
a 2011 lamb, due to general appearance and hoof growth.

She is tame, and seems to have been well handled previously, as she responds
well to a head rub. She was purchased from the Enumclaw Sales Pavilion in July
from a group of goat-like sheep including a white/cream ram. Her only tag is
from the sale barn. I was hoping, since she appears to be a rare/minor breed or
cross, that I might be able to trace her origin. If anyone knows her breed(s),
approximate age or maybe even a place of origin, I would be delighted to know.
I will be bringing her home, if her CL and Johnnes tests are Neg, in Oct.

If the FB link won't work for you, I can send the pictures upon request.

Thanks!
Natasha Lovell
Rubystar Nubian & Guernsey dairy goats