From: Michael Smith <mwsmotorspo...@gmail.com>
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Subject: Re: [Blackbelly] sheep scratching post
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 19:34:13 -0800

Funny you should ask. I am seriously considering something heavy-duty
with large 1" wooden dowels sticking out horizontally, like a huge bed
of nails with the "nails" maybe 8" to 12" apart. The wooden dowels
would, of course wear down and be chewed on, but it should last
several seasons if they are about a foot long. I think the goats and
ewes could handle it. The rams, idiots that they are, would probably
try to challenge it, and destroy it, or their faces. This design is
still in my head. I have an 8 month old (human) to worry about and may
not get to it this year.

This idea came from watching them work over a large willow trunk base
I have lying on it's side in their pasture. They also like to scratch
on things like this in the summer.

-Michael, Perino Ranch Blackbellies.