Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:51:21 -0800
From: Natasha <meadowskuv...@gmail.com>
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Subject: Re: [Blackbelly] Giving Birth

> OH MY GOSH!!! ?WHAT A TREAT!!!

Yes it was! Thanks so much for sharing :) Do Blackbellies twin? Or
are they usually singletons? I couldn't see the video as it didn't
load properly for me but I sure enjoyed seeing the show!

It turned out my ewes never delivered anything when I was expecting
them to. Bummer for me. Hopefully my little ram lamb was able to get
to business when I put him with my older ewe lambs. It would be a
disappointing year with no little ones around. My other ram was with
the ewes from mid May until September - how is it possible there were
no babies? They did have young ones at the time, but I had weaned
them already. What could prevent them from becoming pregnant? He
produced lovely lambs last spring with these ewes.

Natasha

Natasha, the main reason I've found for ewes not getting pregnant when they're
with a ram is because they are still nursing a previous lamb. I also think that
Blackbellies sometime get into the habit of only mating at the "prescribed"
time of year -- in the wild, animals usually, must have their babies in the
spring!  Also, Natasha, adding those 4 "videos" to my MobileMe album was an
accident; I knew that they could not be loaded or seen.  If only I could learn
how to decrease the size of those hundred MB videos that I take with my phone
so that I could put them on Facebook or email them!   I have tried again to
remove them:   http://gallery.me.com/rickkrach#102097

Rick Krach
Auburn, CA 95602