From: Elaine Wilson <elaine_wil...@earthlink.net>
Subject: [Blackbelly] Mountain Lion
To: "Blackbelly Newsletter" <blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info>
Date: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 7:50 AM

We seem to have a mountain lion that has discovered one of our pens of sheep.
There were 40 in that one, but that was one-and-a-half weeks ago. As of this
morning, down to 35. Just over a week ago, not realizing what I was looking at,
I saw the predator and actually thought it was a victim being carved away from
the herd by a coyote. I have seen countless coyotes here and thought it was
rather strange-looking - it was sandy brown, almost as tall as the tallest
sheep, about the same body size. What I thought was the potential victim looked
at the herd that was heading for their pen, looked at another herd of our sheep
in another pasture, then saw me (I was getting ready to leave and coming back
to my truck from closing the gate at the end of our driveway) and trotted
north, away from the sheep and promptly and effortlessly hopped over the top of
a four- to five-foot fence onto my neighbor's property. After doing some
internet searches, I am positive it is
 a mountain lion. Once they have found an easy food source (in this case, our
sheep) they will do something called "surplus killing". Repeated killing in the
same area, not necessarily consuming the entire animal. The nature of the kill
is rip out the guts, then eat the lungs, heart and liver. That is how this
morning's kill was found. The last kills we have experienced have been: Day 1 -
eviscerate the sheep; Day 2 (the next day) - eat almost everything. Also
wondering if this is a female with cubs that she is teaching to hunt.
Theorizing that she may be coming in the first night for the prime pieces, then
bringing in the others to feed more thoroughly the next night. I have set up a
game camera almost every night, but have gotten no pictures. I am not sure
exactly which fence it is hopping over to get in this particular pen, so have
moved the camera almost nightly. The pen is coyote-proof, so I am sure they are
not the current predators.

We tried putting a tractor with the bucket in up-position in the pen last week
and it deterred the second-night kill for one night. Came in for the kill with
the tractor moved to a different position with a down-day between kills. Have
read that scarecrows, bright lights (we have a motion sensor light on the sheep
shelter, obviously not a problem for this mountain lion), tapes of loud music
or barking dogs may help repel mountain lions, but I think this animal has no
fear of any of those at this point in time. Have also read that the mountain
lion probably wouldn't have a problem taking down a dog guarding the flock in
order to get to the prey.

Does anyone have an opinion on my next concern: The larger herd, a pasture over
from the one currently under attack, has been eyed by this mountain lion but so
far has not been attacked. . . when it is finished consuming the herd it has
fixated on (unfortunately, I think it will wipe out the herd unless we are able
to kill it before then . . . and we have and will continue to try, though
timing is everything) is there a good chance that it will move on to the herd
of 89? I am so frustrated and feel such a loss of control in this situation,
any suggestions would be appreciated. I would trade this mountain lion for the
coyotes any day, and we have had our share of problems with them as well. At
least the coyotes eat the bulk of the sheep, this mountain lion is picking and
choosing the pieces it wants to consume.