From: Carol Elkins <celk...@critterhaven.biz>
Subject: [Blackbelly] herding dogs -- was Re: Can we trim horns
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Date: Monday, July 9, 2012, 11:06 AM

At 10:05 PM 7/7/2012, you wrote:
> I wonder how in our state, people can actually pay that kind of money and
> make it pencil out?

When I found myself in a situation where I was a single-person flock owner, I
decided to bite the bullet and purchase a "started" Border Collie. Best
decision I ever made. Yes, he cost $1500, and I traded several sheep to offset
the out-of-pocket cash situation a bit. He knew his basic commands. I knew
nothing. It was like getting a brand new sports car with no owner manual. The
seller did tell me the commands she trained him on, and she spent a couple
hours helping me learn to work him. That dog knew more about sheep handling
than I'll ever know. I still have no training and I know "lie down," "get
back," "come by," "away," and "you damned dog." The dog, now almost 9, was
never elegant, always runs the sheep at top speed when he can get away with it,
and pretty much has always done things the way he thinks is best. He was never
given any training past his initial commands. But he is the best dog I've ever
had. He does exactly what I need him to do,
 which is to bring the sheep to me or help me move sheep to a different
pasture. I could micro-manage him when I needed to put him between me and the
ram that wanted to kill me.

So the point of my story is that at least for me, getting a "started" dog was
the smart thing to do, and neither he nor I ever learned anything more but we
always got the job done. I couldn't have done it without him. He allows me to
enjoy my sheep because I can manage them without stressing either them or
myself. I can't put a dollar figure to that. The dog was worth every penny (and
sheep) I paid for him.

Carol

Carol Elkins
Critterhaven--Registered Barbados Blackbelly Hair Sheep
(no shear, no dock, no fuss)
Pueblo, Colorado
http://www.critterhaven.biz