I have a ram lamb that was born last Saturday (Sept 14).  From the beginning he
wasn't right.  He was born in the barn sometime between 2 AM and 7AM.  When I
found him he was dried off, but had managed to get in behind the lambing jug,
and was stuck back there, inaccessible to Mom.  I got him out and put him and
the ewe in the jug.  Within the hour he had gotten hung up between the bottom
two boards of the jug, and in the bail of the water bucket.  He had a good
suckle reflex, but lacked the reflex to try and find the teat.  I milked ewe
and got some colostrum into him.

I have continued to bottle feed him small quantities of colostrum, and now
goat's milk, while leaving him with his mother.  She has been wonderful and
attentive, and very cooperative, letting me milk her and also hold him on her
teats.  I have squirted milk in his mouth from her teat.  Still can't get him
to nurse.

Up until today he was only taking one or two ounces of milk from the bottle two
or three times daily.  I still have to pry his mouth open to get the nipple in.
 I was hoping that he would get hungry enough to figure out the real milk
source.

About an hour ago I went into the barn and Mom leaped out to the jug.  I tried
letting him outside with her under supervision, but he  just wandered off, and
didn't respond to her calls.  He did urinate, which surprised me - didn't think
he was getting enough, although he doesn't seem dehydrated. He's in the house
now , and taking the bottle somewhat better - just drank 4 ounces.  I know that
is nowhere near enough, and he has lost significant weight from his birth
weight.

Has anyone else dealt with this sort of situation?  Is there any point in
putting him back with Mom?  I am surprised he is still alive, and wonder if he
is or was actually getting some small amount of milk from Mom.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sandy Hession