Hi Jann, and welcome to the list.

Being a city slicker new to animal husbandry myself, and now, a shepherd since
2008, I can relate. This mailing list is a god-send to me and my ABBs.

I second the notion of using a portable panel. I have a thin plywood 4x8 panel
with handles screwed into it that I use as a moveable wall to slowly work the
sheep I want into a corner and then clamp them. Especially handy for separating
babies from moms and the crazy ones from a half-tame flock. We now have 14
sheep and 3 goats.

Since I started I have had three rounds of lambs, one round of bottle babies I
wanted to raise that way, and a flying ewe right in the face. Had to drain a
goofball sized cyst on a ewe lately (ate a foxtail that went into her cheek).
Buried my favorite ewe this year due to a coyote attack. Still enjoying my
sheep and looking forward to possibly exposing some girls to one of my rams in
December for some April lambs.

All these experiences were shared with the group and I received the best of
expert advice when needed.

I have even devoted quite a bit of time to developing a walk-behind sickle
mower that actually can harvest really tall hay, since we are blessed with some
really great silage growing on our small 4-acre place in Northern California.

-MIchael, Perino Ranch Blackbellies

Sent from my iPad