I had dogs that made it clear that blood would be shed by anyone messing
with "their sheep".  They were poisoned.  I had one named Cowboy that lived
for a few days but the vet couldn't save him.  The only ones that lived were
the ones that were shy around strangers or were out patrolling the perimeter
of the farm at the time.  I currently have eight Great Pyrenees that are
perfect with the sheep, donkeys and llama.  They have all developed plenty
of attitude about strangers.  It is hard for them to make a distinction
between utility line workers and meter readers from thieves.  Any car that
slows down on the county road to take a look at the farm gets told by the
dogs to leave.

I am up early because I just checked video of the night after having a false
alarm go off.  My whole family sleeps in alert mode.  Weekends are prime
time for thefts.

I wish I had never sold lambs directly from the farm.  These "farm sales"
just allowed people to case my operation.  The thieves know how to use my
gates and pens as good as I do.  I have found entire groups of sheep locked
up tight in pens the mornings after thefts.

My dogs know what guns are used for and stay away from anyone carrying one.
I carry a shotgun for self defense in the middle of the night when
investigating tripped alarms.  The thieves know how long it takes for the
sheriff to respond.  I can only hope that by chance the sheriff is in my
part of the county when I need him.

The economy is bad and people are desperate.  Please stay alert and safe.

Mark Wintermute

Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 11:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Blackbelly] Thieves

That is awful!  We have Tibetan Mastiffs guarding our flock. I hope that is
sufficient to prevent such thefts.

Jann
Sent from my iPhone