Natasha,

I'm so sorry to hear about your lamb. Yes, death is part of raising livestock, but lamb deaths are particularly painful, especially when you work so hard to keep them alive.

It is important that we try to learn something from every death that occurs. Unfortunately, all of my most valuable lessons have been learned the hard way at the expense of an animal's life. If we learn the lesson, then we are likely to not repeat it. Carefully review all of the circumstances surrounding the lamb's short life and determine if, in hind sight, there was anything that could have been done differently. Do not beat yourself up; simply learn.

The only thing that occurred to me from reading your email is wondering if perhaps it might be unnecessary to castrate your ram lambs. That would reduce the amount of trauma that they have to go through, especially so soon after birth. On my farm, ram lambs grow up to be either breeding rams or freezer lambs, and neither require castration. Unlike other breeds of sheep, blackbelly meat remains mild flavored well past 3 years of age. The only time I castrated a ram lamb was when I had to bottle feed a lamb whose mother had died. I knew I'd never be able to butcher him, and sometimes it's very handy to have a wether around.

It never gets easier. Don't let anyone tell you that it does.

Carol