Hi Rick,

Yes, I've butchered 2- to 3-year-old rams and they taste fine. The connective tissue in the older rams gets pretty tough, so I generally have the older animals put into ground meat rather than steaks. There is no "magic butcher age"; I guess a lot depends on the ram's diet and environment.

There is a good market for lamb and mutton with the raw dog food enthusiasts. I think the next time I have a ram older than 3 years to butcher, I'll go ahead and have his meat ground. If it's too strong flavored, I can recover the slaughter and packaging fees plus probably $1.00/lb live weight by selling the meat to the raw dog food folks.

I have no experience with American Blackbelly, so I can't say for sure. Perhaps an AB breeder can comment on this.

Carol