On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Jamin W. Collins wrote:

> Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
> >Using lots of simple tools (versus bloatware) is not always the best, most
> >stable, or easiest way.
> >
> There have been a few people that have claimed this.  However, I've yet
> to see any sound examples where the simple tools combined together for a
> task were not better at it than some (as you put it) "bloatware"
> package.  I'm sure it goes without saying, but just to make 100% we are
> comparing "best-of-breed" applications here right?

I am not sure of the definition or examples of "'best-of-breed'
applications". But, as an example, in some cases, using perl
(bloatware) is easier than using a bunch of Bourne scripts, awk scripts,
sed scripts, etc. to do the same job.

Another example: In many situations, using Netscape Navigator or KDE's
Konqueror is easier or more pleasant (but not more stable) than using
links, w3m or lynx. (Or should I compare lynx with w3get?) (I use links
for most of my surfing!)

And another: Using Exim to handle mail transfer, filtering and delivery is
easier and usually faster than trying to combine a variety of MTA,
procmail (and like tools).

> >On that note, I see that bbkeys is viral GPL'd and our great blackbox is
> >using the noble BSD-style license. As it is, bbkeys can not (should not)
> >functionality, but I prefer it to be part of blackbox.)
> >
> What is so bad about GPL'ing something?  Personally, if I decide to give
> away my code (which I have), I like knowing that any enhancements to it
> are public domain.

"Public domain" is great!!! I am glad you chose public domain; be sure
your code says "public domain".

GPL is NOT public domain. Spend some time reading about GPL, public
domain, BSD licensing.
 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/bsd/license.html and search via google.

  Jeremy C. Reed
     ISP-FAQ.com -- find answers to your questions
     http://www.isp-faq.com/