Okay, so this has really nothing to do with the development or use of a
window manager, but it's something I've been curious about in my 2.5+
years of Linux experience:

Why do most of the good X window managers have 0.xx versions after years
of development?

For example, I've used Enlightenment (various versions from 0.14.x
through 0.16.5), WindowMaker (from versions 0.75 - 0.80.0), and
currently BlackBox (various 0.6x versions). Why have none of them
released a 1.x or above?

I realize in part that most of these are under heavy or semi-heavy
development all the time, but they also all are _very_ stable. Much more
stable than kwm was when I tried it (admittedly, that was two years ago)
or Sawmill/Sawfish, etc. XFCE has been in the 3.x series for awhile, and
still has fairly heavy development and constant releases (I used this
for over a year when I was using my laptop heavily -- obviously this was
before I found blackbox!).

What are the developers' thoughts on the matter?

Matthew