To make any application NOT show up in the dock, you need to edit it's
.plist settings.

There's an app out there called 'Dock Dodger' or something similar that does
this for you, but it's really easy.

Here's the Apple developer info on how to do it

http://developer.apple.com/Mac/library/documentation/General/Reference/InfoPlistKeyReference/Articles/LaunchServicesKeys.html

(look at LSUIElement)

All you need to do is open the .plist -
HardwarGrowler.app/contents/info.plist and add a new item called
'LSUIElement' and set it to be Boolean, TRUE then relaunch the app.

Glad we could help :)