Thanks Jon, that's a very useful option. I cataloged this file as you
said (Include Contents - None).

This gave me some other ideas (warning - long post):

- I attached this script:
 http://db.tt/29P1G8
to iCal to automate exporting the Safari Bookmarks.html file to the
Desktop (change this location in the script). I set the alarm to the
middle of the night, so the file updates upon waking from sleep in the
morning. (In iCal, don't set 'end' to 'never' - iCal tried to eat my
computer.) I set this file to be my Safari home page and new tab page,
it's easy to search in Safari.

- I created a QS action to save the current web page to a favourites
html file:
http://db.tt/W8v4Dc
Save it in the QS actions folder and relaunch QS. Type a new bookmark
name in pane 1, invoke the action in pane 2, and the html tag will be
added to the html file on the Desktop (change this location in the
script). Add the file to the QS catalog (Include Contents - HTML
Links) to have access to the links.

- I disabled the Safari Bookmarks and History catalogs, and I'm
favouriting the bookmarks I want to be able to call up instantly in
QS. Also, I can directly append html tags in the first pane to the
favourites html file.

Issues - I haven't thought of the best way to edit the favourites html
file, I can use Dashcode from the Developer files, or TextEdit (which
gives the file a black background in Safari!) The export script uses a
lot of keystroking, which is not ideal. I can't remember if I had to
edit the Text Manipulation Actions plugin to allow it to accept html
files!

The upshot of this is I have almost no bookmarks in my QS results. It
sounds extreme, but I really like the clean search results I get now.
If I need any other bookmarks, I right-arrow into the Safari
Bookmarks.html file and search only the bookmarks. So, for apple.com,
I type: b - right-arrow - a. The Safari Bookmarks folder hierarchy can
still be accessed when right-arrowing into the Safari app. You were
right though, Jon - it didn't seem to solve the slow interface issue!
My QS catalog is about 1300 now. Everything works in Safari 5 - which
has improved History search from the address bar.

Cheers, philgroups.