This happened out of the blue, as far as I can recall.  By moving stuff
around (copying, pasting, renaming), I've discovered that the problem
exists only for one specific filename, "keys.txt".  If I "mv keys.txt
keys2.txt", then I can right-arrow into the renamed file.  If I then "mv
keys2.txt keys.txt" back to the original name, then I once again cannot
show the file contents.