TheOldFellow wrote:

> I note (with some ire!) that the profile.d snippet in the latest Java
> instructions includes the line:
> 
>    pathappend ${JAVA_HOME}/man MANPATH
> 
> This completely screws setting the MANPATH using /etc/man.conf, as
> normally setup by an LFS installation.  Setting any MANPATH envar, as
> Jeremy Utley pointed out to me in another place, masks the
> /etc/man.conf's MANPATH setting.
> 
> The correct (better, other...)  way to do this is to uncomment 
> 
>    MANPATH  /opt/*/man
> 
> in /etc/man.conf,  n'est pas?
> 
> R.

Actually, I had asked about this a couple of days ago.  Thanks for the
suggested fix.  But it apears not to be needed at all...problem is that
I'm not certain why..I must be missing something.  And N/M I think I
found it.

An excerpt from /etc/man.conf:
=====================================================================
# Set up PATH to MANPATH mapping
#
# If people ask for "man foo" and have "/dir/bin/foo" in their PATH
# and the docs are found in "/dir/man", then no mapping is required.
=====================================================================

I was unaware of that little bit, but it's the only way I can explain this:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# man -w
/usr/share/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/opt/jdk/jdk/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/local/share/man
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# cat /etc/man.conf | grep jdk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# cat /etc/man.conf | grep JAVA_HOME
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# cat /etc/man.conf | grep JAVA
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# cat /etc/man.conf | grep opt
# MANPATH       /opt/*/man
# For use with utf-8, NROFF should be "nroff -mandoc" without -T option.
# causes problems, add the -c option to TROFF, NROFF, JNROFF.
# Default options to use when man is invoked without options
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# env | grep jdk
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/opt/jdk/jdk/bin:/opt/ant/bin:/opt/fop/bin
JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk/jdk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# env | grep JAVA
JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk/jdk

Sorry for the confusion.  Will update momentarily.

-- DJ Lucas
-- 
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/blfs-dev
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.html
Unsubscribe: See the above information page

Reply via email to