El Lunes, 9 de Mayo de 2005 21:53, Randy McMurchy escribi�:

> Well, I guess I  missed that discussion. However, my point is
> that I disagree with your analysis, Manuel. No big deal, it is okay
> to disagree sometimes.

Is good to disagree on technical analysis due that bring another point of view 
and help catching possible wrong premises.

> I just think that the acronym tag could be useful one day. You
> certainly know better than I but is it possible that:
>
> 1) the acronym tag could be used somehow to let folks know that a
> definition exists in the Glossary?

A link to the Glossary entry? In all ocurrences of each acronym? That will 
need additional tags and/or attributes, making more hard yet to read the 
sources, plus the acompaning XSL code.

> 2) the acronym tag could have distinguishing characteristics so
> that users would know a definition exists in the Glossary?

What characteristic? Italic, bold, fixed, etc.. are already used for other 
tags.

Well, in fact the characteristic is already here without the need of use tags: 
all letters in an acronym are in uppercase. 

> 3) the acronym tag could be used to create entries in the Glossary?

For that, first is needed to develop a XSL framework similar to the Index one 
but from scratch, due that there is no predefined code into DocBook-XSL to do 
that. Second, only one ocurrece of each acronym in the book could be tagged 
then, to avoid duplications. And lastly, that tagged occurence must contain 
also the definition for that acronym.

Not impossible, and I would to try do it, if requested when I will have free 
time availbale. But before to decide what should be that "unique tagged 
occurrence", first is needed to remove the tags in all occurrences. 
Bassically due that the content model of {acronym} is very limited, not 
useful for that type of auto-generation  ;-)

> However, it
> just seems to me that we could use the tag to pass some visual key
> to the reader that the term is defined in the Glossary.

Yes, if a word has all their letters in uppercase, then should have an entry 
in the Glossary for that word. 


-- 
Manuel Canales Esparcia
Usuario de LFS n�2886:       http://www.linuxfromscratch.org
LFS en castellano: http://www.escomposlinux.org/lfs-es http://www.lfs-es.com
TLDP-ES:                           http://es.tldp.org
-- 
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/blfs-dev
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.html
Unsubscribe: See the above information page

Reply via email to