Jeremy Byron wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote:
>
>><Snip>
>>
>>>/usr/src/jdk-build/control/build/linux-i586/tmp/sun/com.sun.java.util.jar.pack/u
>>>npack-cmd/obj/main.o: In function `.L93':
>>>main.cpp:(.text+0xd1c): undefined reference to `gunzip::init(unpacker*)'
>>>main.cpp:(.text+0xd2e): undefined reference to `gunzip::start(int)'
>>>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>
>><Snip>
>>
>>So for an uneducated, shoot from the hip, wild ass guess, ;-)  zip.o
>>miscompiled or not in the ld command?  It looks as though zip.o has
>
> Looks like it may well be that it miscompiled.  I was using
> OTHER_C{,XX}FLAGS='-O3 -march=athlon-fx' as the book suggested in place
> of C{,XX}FLAGS for (I assumed safe) optimizations.  I tried unsetting
> those in the build tree and rerunning make but to no effect so I assumed
> that they weren't the cause - probably should have started clean.
>
> Starting from a clean build directory without the OTHER_C{,XX}FLAGS
> variables set resulted in a completed build.

Jeremy, thanks for the reply.  Very good to hear that the build completed.

> Of course, now I'm not in a position to look into your other suggestions
> at the moment, having deleted the faulty build directory, but I will try
> to build it again with the optimizations to be sure they were at fault.
>  (I had also reinstalled gzip, though I doubt that was the cure).  If it
> fails again, at least you can maybe caution against the use of
> optimizations entirely rather than suggesting the alternate variables.
> Also, assuming it fails again I will try your suggestions to maybe find
> out why.

I'll start an optimized build tonight.  If it comes down to it, a patch
could be created to not pass OTHER_CXXFLAGS to the jar/jarutils subdirs.
   Unfortunately, my equip is a little older, -march=athlon will have to
do for my testing, though we'll probably find the culprit to be -O3. :-)

> Thanks very much for your effort; if nothing else I'll keep grep in mind
> as a starting point for next time.
>
> Cheers,
> Jeremy.

Robert, I wasn't sure if you followed this list or not, sorry in advance
for the CC if so.  Did you by chance use optimizations in your build
that failed with the same error?

Thanks.

-- DJ Lucas