Bernard Leak wrote these words on 07/22/05 14:10 CST:

> [w3m is in Debian 'unstable', so there!]
> FWIW, the 'unstable' and 'stable' versions are
> different, except for Hurd users.

I suppose that the book should reflect the 'stable' version of the
package. I don't think there are probably many folks that would go
to the trouble of installing a 'kanji code converter' for the w3m
package, but I could be wrong.

If you have a URL to the 'stable' version handy, I'll update the
book.


> [Where to get gnome-print-0.37]
> 
>>Does it really matter to anyone where one gets the package from?
> 
> For this solitary package, not much, but surely you expect
> your readers to use local mirrors in general?  I regard
> mirrors which are not reliably updated as good candidates
> to disappear - in that sense, the ftp.gnome.org server is
> safer to quote.  As when you list entirely different sites
> as FTP and HTTP sources (often quite unnecessarily, I
> find), it makes me wonder.

A couple of things here. I'm not sure how long the UK link has
been in the book, but indeed the ftp.gnome.org server seems to
be the one all the other packages reference.

As far as listing different sites for FTP and HTTP sources, I
think it is a good thing. If one of the sites is down, or there's
some other reason someone can't get to one of the sites, there's
an alternate listing at another physical location. I can't help
but think this is a good thing.


> [Unexpected parameters to xscreensaver]
> 
>>As is done on *many* packages, some unused parameters to configure
>>are listed as a convenience to the readers, if the Editor who
>>placed it there deemed it important enough to add it.
> 
> My impression - no more than that - was that optional arguments are
> usually given in the sample commands, rather than left out from them.
> I'll take that as a misleading impression, then!
> 
> What caught brain here was the first option listed:
> 
> --with-setuid-hacks: This switch allows some demos to be installed 
> setuid root which is needed in order to ping other hosts.
> 
> It was not obvious at all why this went with xscreensaver!
> Do I want a demo screen-saver which "pings other hosts"?
> Possibly this is to keep the client/server link alive... possibly.

My personal opinion is that having this option listed, even though
it isn't a default option, is a good thing. Though we expect users
to use the configure --help to guide them in selecting options, this
particular one seems important enough to list it. Some folks freak
out at the thought of an SUID root program. Having this option listed
give folks the opportunity to decide for themselves if they want
to use it.


> [consolehelper]
> Thanks.  I think this could be usefully explained in
> the Book.

Probably a good idea.

Thanks for the input. I'll do what I can with your suggestions.

-- 
Randy

rmlscsi: [GNU ld version 2.15.94.0.2 20041220] [gcc (GCC) 3.4.3]
[GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.4] [Linux 2.6.10 i686]
14:24:00 up 111 days, 13:57, 2 users, load average: 0.12, 0.07, 0.01
-- 
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/blfs-dev
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.html
Unsubscribe: See the above information page

Reply via email to