Ken Moffat wrote:

I think it depends where you go for your timeservers - on my server (normally up, modulo hardware changes and kernel crashes) I've commented out the 'ntpd -gqx' with a note that I was getting an 'already running message' (gcc-3.4.3, ntp-4.2.0). Works fine like this.

That 'already running' message is a symptom of the ntpdate-esque ntpd not having finished running by the time the sync-mode ntpd gets kicked off. Or at least that's what I concluded when seeing the same message here during my own tests.

As for the timeservers, I've tested with just my router and with a combination of the ones listed in the BLFS book (generally just using the European one though to save time).

On my desktops/laptop (which get ntp from my server) the ntpd -gqx works fine after bios resets (or ibook system resets) and results in only a short delay during any boot. No detectable difference between gcc-3.3.5/gcc-3.4.3/gcc-4.0.1 on the desktops (all with ntp-4.2.0, gcc4 with the patch).

So, just to confirm: Your ntp bootscript is unchanged on these machines (and is from a release newer than October-2004), you have them syncing to remote timeservers and those machines complete the ntp bootscript in, say, < 2 seconds? Do they have anything particularly quirky in the /etc/ntp.conf file?

Of course, it's possible this is a problem with 4.2.0a, or perhaps you upgraded something else (e.g. the kernel) ?

Hmmm, good point, I'm actually on 2.6.13.2 here. I spotted a LKML post (http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0509.2/0514.html) suggesting it might be broken, but noone can apparently confirm or deny that. I'll try reverting to ntp-4.2.0 then to linux-2.6.12.6 to see if they fix the problem.

Regards,

Matt.