Bruce Dubbs wrote:
I think the replies have established that either syntax is OK with the
exception of csh and probably tcsh.  In my mind the constructs are
interchangeable. I don't have a preference and don't think we need to
have a standard for BLFS.  Demonstrating both ways is educational.  That
said, the method used in a package or group of related packages should
be consistent.

I think it would be fine to do $(...) for the entire book, perhaps with one exception somewhere showing the backticks for educational value. I say this mostly because it avoids issues where people who aren't copying and pasting misread the '`' as a single quote. And for 99% of our users, $(...) will work just fine. The Linux world generally uses a compliant shell - whereas tcsh (or csh) the only one that doesn't seem to want to play, is used for the most part only in the BSDs.

--
JH