Randy McMurchy wrote:

> I've found that it's better to say:
>
> I'd like to do [insert workaround] because [messed up stuff], and
> the affect on the book is [describe]. Anyone see any issues with this?
>
> This way you can get meaningful responses.

Yes I see I've lost the meat of the thread.  If you have installaled
libao (required for sound in gaim) and have libao linked against aRts,
without having run startkde, gaim will exit when you attempt to send
messages.  Think gnome-centric environment.

The cause of the problem is that aRts expects to see a
~/.kde/socket-$(hostname) directory.  Normally, this is handled
somewhere in kdeinit.  You can get around the problem by creating the
directory manually with
'mkdir -p ~/.kde/socket-$(hostname)'.  I'd like to add that to a note in
the book.  I'm assuming that most who install it must not be installing
aRts, or have installed kde.

I hope that is a little better description.  :-)

-- DJ Lucas