On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 4:05 PM, bob foltrigg <bob.foltr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think the first thing most people install is ssl/ssh so you c/an ssh into
>> the
>> box and run additional builds from another workstation that has a gui.
>
> I believe that with the advent of all these virtualization platforms
> out there, this is not necessarily true, cf. my actual case.
>

>> That said, I think you are right about ssl being needed for xorg-server.  In
>> configure is the comment:
>>
>> # OpenSSL used for SHA1 hashing in render/glyph.c, but we don't need all of
>> # the OpenSSL libraries, just libcrypto
>>
>> If you logged the configure command, look for the message:
>>   error: Package requirements (openssl) were not met:  ...
>>
>> I'm surprised that configure didn't fail.
>
> Bugs me too, tho I'm not an autoconf guru... Anyways the actual output
> of configure didn't mention anything related to openssl but config.log
> has this:

There had been numerous attempts to "fix" the detection of a sha1
library since one exists in different libraries on different
platforms. It sounds like it's still not working quite right. Know
that you probably do want the openssl version since libcrypto is
optimized for many different architectures. For instance, on x86 it is
an optimized assembler routine.

--
Dan