On Dec 21, 2011, at 6:03 AM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> As the person who mentioned flattening to Andy, all I can say is
> that common usage at youtube refers to it.  And, despite the
> implication that it is only to improve the user experience, it is
> necessary to use it to successfully upload .mov files there.

I understood that qt-faststart's use is necessary for YouTube - I wasn't
disputing that part. In fact I fully understand why it's needed. What I am
disputing is the accuracy of the text.

Since I'm not a YouTube user, I haven't seen this error myself, but I've seen
several forum entries where others have pasted verbatim YouTube's error message
about flattening. All I can say is that YouTube has suffered from (and
contributed to) the easy spread of misinformation by using a technically
incorrect word in their error message.

For example, check this out:

In one of the forum thread where users are asking for help regarding this error
message, one of the users posts a link that  YouTube had embedded with the
error response - the link goes to this page:
http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1297408

That page says nothing about flattening, but it does talk about preparing the
quicktime files for submission to YouTube. The relevant part is towards the
end, in step 5. Again, nothing about 'flattening' the file, but the appropriate
dialog box simply says 'Prepare for Internet Streaming' -> 'Fast Start'.

Whoever wrote the YouTube error text was confused.

JH